We’re closing in, and so we sit on edge of seat,
In the midst of it
On Transfer Deadline Day.
We’re closing in, and so we wait
With baited breath and there we’ll stay,
Until we hear the deal is done,
For our hope and season in the sun.
On Transfer Deadline Day.
We’re closing in and he’s been seen,
On plane from Spain and looking keen,
In local supermarket and
He’s bought a house, we understand.
Oh how he’ll change the team around,
We’re certain to be Wembley-bound,
Because of Deadline Day.
They say he say he is the next big thing,
He’s quick and handy down the wing,
Bigger than Messi, better than any,
Rich in skill and envy of many.
He’s not come here for higher pay,
No, he wants to play, and play.
For us, on Deadline Day.
He’s seen on Sky Sports News in shirt,
And all the rival fans feel hurt,
They’ll say we nicked him, it’s not fair.
And then they’ll say that they don’t care,
Because he’s rubbish anyway.
Hurrah for Transfer Deadline Day.
The players come, the players go,
And Jeff just loves to tell us so.
The net is spread and time is ticking,
Nerves are fraught and keyboards clicking,
Fans awake with hopes and dreams,
Of new messiahs for their teams.
And then next game it’s down to earth,
You see how much your new boy’s worth,
Fifty million squandered and
His strike ends up in the top of the stand.
But you didn’t want him anyway.
And you curse the Transfer Deadline Day.
© Carol Ann Wood
Index of Posts:
- Back To Basics:
- Lazy Players Don’t Work Hard
- The Transfer Troll Is King
- The Night The League Was Won
- A die-hard Chelsea Woman
- Breaking News on PieGate
- Chinese Puzzle
- Older Fans Matter
- Bradley Lowery’s Goal
- The Geezer That’s David Luiz
- You Are Old Said The Mail
- Dear Lady Brady,
- Dear Matthew Harding,
- In Memory Of Matthew Harding: 26/12/1953 – 22/10/1996
- Geezer Love
- Love Letters From The Stand
- Costa: More sinned Against Then Sinning With apologies to The Bard Himself. King Lear (3.2.49-60)
- Reunited: The return of David Luiz to Chelsea
- Hello Again, Geezer!
- The Rumour Mill
- Half a chance?
- Dear TV People,
- Rhyme and Treason
- Your Breaking News Ain’t Breaking Us
- We Didn’t Want Him Anyway
- Closing In
- The Blame Game
- How They Destroyed The Beautiful Game
- Till Death Do Us Part ….
- Ossie – King Of The Bridge
- The Ardent Armchair Die-hard Supporter
- The Day A Dream Came True
- The Toddler’s ABC Of Football
- Save our Claudio
- Once upon a terraced time
- The Night We Were Robbed
- Oh for the Cup Winner’s Cup
- The Football Fan’s Trap
- League Ladders
- He Doesn’t Go
- For Matthew
- Big Man
- Back To The Future
- Rare Find
- The Football Supporter’s Guide To The Close-Season
- From The Hearts Of The Fans
- My Poetry, My Football Club
- Judged by association…
My bespoke poetry service, Diverse Verse
About the author
Contact the author
Follow Carol Ann Wood on Twitter
NOT Just Saying: Carol’s comments on feminism, fashion, food and folly
Only in Erinsborough Carol Ann’s fun look at the lives and loves of the characters from the Australian soap, Neighbours
Please note that any advertisements which appear below these posts are placed there by a WordPress algorithm. They are not indicative of any endorsement by the author.