With apologies to Rudyard Kipling
If you can sit for season after season
Week in, week out, no matter what the score.
If you can always find a valid reason
For optimism, then go back for more.
If you can watch them stave off relegation
And still believe the team is on the up.
If you can take the sheer humiliation
Of getting thrashed by Man U in the Cup.
If you can feel your deep emotions stirring,
If you can feel your stomach twist and knot.
If you can take the penalties occurring
And then stay proud and loyal, no matter what.
If you can sample pies just filled with jelly,
If you can wait forever in a queue.
If you can wave, in case you’re on the telly
All over land and sea (and Leicester, too).
If you can smile through tears when we’re defeated,
If you can slate the ref, but still walk tall.
If you can sing until the game’s completed,
And know that you have given them your all.
If you can travel miles as dawn is breaking,
Whenever SKY dictates the whistle blows.
If you can sit and shiver, cold and shaking,
In order to endure those highs and lows.
If you can take your passion and your glory,
And pass it on (like those before have done)
Then you are truly part of Chelsea’s story.
And what is more, you’ll be a man, my son!
© Carol Ann Wood
Written for her son Chris, on the occasion of his 18th birthday, May 2003
Index of Posts:
- That Day Will Never Come
- Plastic Clearout
- Back To Basics:
- Lazy Players Don’t Work Hard
- The Transfer Troll Is King
- The Night The League Was Won
- A die-hard Chelsea Woman
- Breaking News on PieGate
- Chinese Puzzle
- Older Fans Matter
- Bradley Lowery’s Goal
- The Geezer That’s David Luiz
- You Are Old Said The Mail
- Dear Lady Brady,
- Dear Matthew Harding,
- In Memory Of Matthew Harding: 26/12/1953 – 22/10/1996
- Geezer Love
- Love Letters From The Stand
- Costa: More sinned Against Then Sinning With apologies to The Bard Himself. King Lear (3.2.49-60)
- Reunited: The return of David Luiz to Chelsea
- Hello Again, Geezer!
- The Rumour Mill
- Half a chance?
- Dear TV People,
- Rhyme and Treason
- Your Breaking News Ain’t Breaking Us
- We Didn’t Want Him Anyway
- Closing In
- The Blame Game
- How They Destroyed The Beautiful Game
- Till Death Do Us Part ….
- Ossie – King Of The Bridge
- The Ardent Armchair Die-hard Supporter
- The Day A Dream Came True
- The Toddler’s ABC Of Football
- Save our Claudio
- Once upon a terraced time
- The Night We Were Robbed
- Oh for the Cup Winner’s Cup
- The Football Fan’s Trap
- League Ladders
- He Doesn’t Go
- For Matthew
- Big Man
- Back To The Future
- Rare Find
- The Football Supporter’s Guide To The Close-Season
- From The Hearts Of The Fans
- My Poetry, My Football Club
- Judged by association…
My bespoke poetry service, Diverse Verse
About the author
Contact the author
Follow Carol Ann Wood on Twitter
NOT Just Saying: Carol’s comments on feminism, fashion, food and folly
Only in Erinsborough Carol Ann’s fun look at the lives and loves of the characters from the Australian soap, Neighbours
Please note that any advertisements which appear below these posts are placed there by a WordPress algorithm. They are not indicative of any endorsement by the author.