I got so excited about my league Ladder
Which came free with Shoot every season.
Just a bit of cardboard with twenty two slots
For the twenty two teams
Of the mighty first division.
Oh how much fun it was going to be
Watching Chelsea move up the league
Week by week, until hopefully, in May, they would be top.
I knew it would happen. Of course it would.
When the first league table was printed in the paper,
(Usually after three games or so)
Chelsea were often around fourteenth.
But that didn’t matter …
There were lots of games to go
And, by May, they would be top. Of course they would.
September came and went, then October.
Then I got a bit bored waiting for Chelsea to be near the top,
And more than a bit cross about Leeds being there instead.
So I thought it wouldn’t matter if I swapped them around.
As the season wore on, I’d get madder and madder.
Leeds stayed bottom in my alternative table.
Chelsea were top. Except of course, they weren’t really.
I wish they still made League Ladders
And all fans could have their own alternative Premiership!
© Carol Ann Wood
Index of Posts:
- Back To Basics:
- Lazy Players Don’t Work Hard
- The Transfer Troll Is King
- The Night The League Was Won
- A die-hard Chelsea Woman
- Breaking News on PieGate
- Chinese Puzzle
- Older Fans Matter
- Bradley Lowery’s Goal
- The Geezer That’s David Luiz
- You Are Old Said The Mail
- Dear Lady Brady,
- Dear Matthew Harding,
- In Memory Of Matthew Harding: 26/12/1953 – 22/10/1996
- Geezer Love
- Love Letters From The Stand
- Costa: More sinned Against Then Sinning With apologies to The Bard Himself. King Lear (3.2.49-60)
- Reunited: The return of David Luiz to Chelsea
- Hello Again, Geezer!
- The Rumour Mill
- Half a chance?
- Dear TV People,
- Rhyme and Treason
- Your Breaking News Ain’t Breaking Us
- We Didn’t Want Him Anyway
- Closing In
- The Blame Game
- How They Destroyed The Beautiful Game
- Till Death Do Us Part ….
- Ossie – King Of The Bridge
- The Ardent Armchair Die-hard Supporter
- The Day A Dream Came True
- The Toddler’s ABC Of Football
- Save our Claudio
- Once upon a terraced time
- The Night We Were Robbed
- Oh for the Cup Winner’s Cup
- The Football Fan’s Trap
- League Ladders
- He Doesn’t Go
- For Matthew
- Big Man
- Back To The Future
- Rare Find
- The Football Supporter’s Guide To The Close-Season
- From The Hearts Of The Fans
- My Poetry, My Football Club
- Judged by association…
My bespoke poetry service, Diverse Verse
About the author
Contact the author
Follow Carol Ann Wood on Twitter
NOT Just Saying: Carol’s comments on feminism, fashion, food and folly
Only in Erinsborough Carol Ann’s fun look at the lives and loves of the characters from the Australian soap, Neighbours
Please note that any advertisements which appear below these posts are placed there by a WordPress algorithm. They are not indicative of any endorsement by the author.