Oh the irony! This poem was written in 2004. I’m posting it in 2016, the season in which Claudio Ranieri has taken no-hopers, relegation-material, Leicester City to the Premiership title.
We’re only supporters so what would we know?
We follow the Chelsea wherever they go,
In good times and bad we are there in our blue
What we think won’t matter to people like you.
The money men rule and the fans are just pawns –
But this ain’t Man U and our badge ain’t got horns.
So maybe no trophies have lately been won,
Cos building success is not easily done.
Remember how Blackburn so rapidly fell
One season of glory and back in their shell.
We’re only supporters so why should you care
As long as the money is going to be there?
We don’t have a say, we just carry on cheering,
Whilst people like you carry on never hearing.
Don’t think we aren’t grateful for being mega rich
But what we love most is that team on the pitch,
The man in the dugout who came here from Rome
Who won all our hearts and made Chelsea his home.
He’s honest and true and a man of good grace
And faces the press with a smile on his face
But we’re only fans so we don’t have a right
To voice our opinions or put up a fight.
You do what you want and you say you’ve got reason,
To scrap a good man at the end of the season,
We’ve faith in our Claudio, so he should stay,
Remember that Rome wasn’t built in a day.
@ Carol Ann Wood
Index of Posts:
- Back To Basics:
- Lazy Players Don’t Work Hard
- The Transfer Troll Is King
- The Night The League Was Won
- A die-hard Chelsea Woman
- Breaking News on PieGate
- Chinese Puzzle
- Older Fans Matter
- Bradley Lowery’s Goal
- The Geezer That’s David Luiz
- You Are Old Said The Mail
- Dear Lady Brady,
- Dear Matthew Harding,
- In Memory Of Matthew Harding: 26/12/1953 – 22/10/1996
- Geezer Love
- Love Letters From The Stand
- Costa: More sinned Against Then Sinning With apologies to The Bard Himself. King Lear (3.2.49-60)
- Reunited: The return of David Luiz to Chelsea
- Hello Again, Geezer!
- The Rumour Mill
- Half a chance?
- Dear TV People,
- Rhyme and Treason
- Your Breaking News Ain’t Breaking Us
- We Didn’t Want Him Anyway
- Closing In
- The Blame Game
- How They Destroyed The Beautiful Game
- Till Death Do Us Part ….
- Ossie – King Of The Bridge
- The Ardent Armchair Die-hard Supporter
- The Day A Dream Came True
- The Toddler’s ABC Of Football
- Save our Claudio
- Once upon a terraced time
- The Night We Were Robbed
- Oh for the Cup Winner’s Cup
- The Football Fan’s Trap
- League Ladders
- He Doesn’t Go
- For Matthew
- Big Man
- Back To The Future
- Rare Find
- The Football Supporter’s Guide To The Close-Season
- From The Hearts Of The Fans
- My Poetry, My Football Club
- Judged by association…
My bespoke poetry service, Diverse Verse
About the author
Contact the author
Follow Carol Ann Wood on Twitter
NOT Just Saying: Carol’s comments on feminism, fashion, food and folly
Only in Erinsborough Carol Ann’s fun look at the lives and loves of the characters from the Australian soap, Neighbours
Please note that any advertisements which appear below these posts are placed there by a WordPress algorithm. They are not indicative of any endorsement by the author.