You can blame it on football, if that’s what you choose.
You can blame it on class, you can blame it on booze.
You can blame it on all those who follow the game,
You can call us all racists and say we’re the same.
But – it wouldn’t be right and it wouldn’t be true.
Cos, to say it’s just football’s a short-sighted view.
Take a look in your pub, take a look in your street,
In your workplace, your shops, at the people you meet.
Their views might be covert, their minds are closed shut
As they utter their cliché “”I’m not racist, BUT …”
So don’t link me with haters whose views I despise,
Don’t hit me with rants or your Daily Mail lies.
If you look a bit deeper instead of just spouting,
You’ll see it goes further than pissed morons shouting.
For a racist’s a racist, wherever they roam,
In the pub or at football, or closer to home.
In a church, in a school, in your ‘nice’ village hall –
So it’s not ‘football’s problem’ – it’s one for us all.
Now, cut out the blame with your “I was just saying.”
It’s futile, it’s pointless, and I’m just not playing!
© Carol Ann Wood
Index of Posts:
- That Day Will Never Come
- Plastic Clearout
- Back To Basics:
- Lazy Players Don’t Work Hard
- The Transfer Troll Is King
- The Night The League Was Won
- A die-hard Chelsea Woman
- Breaking News on PieGate
- Chinese Puzzle
- Older Fans Matter
- Bradley Lowery’s Goal
- The Geezer That’s David Luiz
- You Are Old Said The Mail
- Dear Lady Brady,
- Dear Matthew Harding,
- In Memory Of Matthew Harding: 26/12/1953 – 22/10/1996
- Geezer Love
- Love Letters From The Stand
- Costa: More sinned Against Then Sinning With apologies to The Bard Himself. King Lear (3.2.49-60)
- Reunited: The return of David Luiz to Chelsea
- Hello Again, Geezer!
- The Rumour Mill
- Half a chance?
- Dear TV People,
- Rhyme and Treason
- Your Breaking News Ain’t Breaking Us
- We Didn’t Want Him Anyway
- Closing In
- The Blame Game
- How They Destroyed The Beautiful Game
- Till Death Do Us Part ….
- Ossie – King Of The Bridge
- The Ardent Armchair Die-hard Supporter
- The Day A Dream Came True
- The Toddler’s ABC Of Football
- Save our Claudio
- Once upon a terraced time
- The Night We Were Robbed
- Oh for the Cup Winner’s Cup
- The Football Fan’s Trap
- League Ladders
- He Doesn’t Go
- For Matthew
- Big Man
- Back To The Future
- Rare Find
- The Football Supporter’s Guide To The Close-Season
- From The Hearts Of The Fans
- My Poetry, My Football Club
- Judged by association…
My bespoke poetry service, Diverse Verse
About the author
Contact the author
Follow Carol Ann Wood on Twitter
NOT Just Saying: Carol’s comments on feminism, fashion, food and folly
Only in Erinsborough Carol Ann’s fun look at the lives and loves of the characters from the Australian soap, Neighbours
Please note that any advertisements which appear below these posts are placed there by a WordPress algorithm. They are not indicative of any endorsement by the author.