And so it’s the end of the season,
Your scarf is all sweaty and smelly
Your team has gone down on goal difference
There’s pain in your heart and your belly.
You’ve spent all your salary threefold
On tickets and programmes and crap
And what did you get in return for it all?
Being caught in the football fan’s trap?
You think of the day of that cup tie
With promise of glory to come
Two nil up by half time and cruising
Till the goalie fell flat on his bum
But what will you do with your weekends
On your sofa with plate in your lap
Bored out of your brains with repeats on TV
It’s part of the football fan’s trap.
You start to remember the laughter
The goals and the beers with your mates
The free kicks and offside decisions
The passion and heated debates
And maybe it might just get better
You wish that that next season would start
For die-hards can’t ever be parted
From the team that belongs to their heart.
And so you start counting the days off
Till the first ticket lands on the mat
You know that this year will be your year,
Cos its part of the football fan’s trap!
© Carol Wood
Index of Posts:
- The Transfer Troll Is King
- The Night The League Was Won
- A die-hard Chelsea Woman
- Breaking News on PieGate
- Chinese Puzzle
- Older Fans Matter
- Bradley Lowery’s Goal
- The Geezer That’s David Luiz
- You Are Old Said The Mail
- Dear Lady Brady,
- Dear Matthew Harding,
- In Memory Of Matthew Harding: 26/12/1953 – 22/10/1996
- Geezer Love
- Love Letters From The Stand
- Costa: More sinned Against Then Sinning With apologies to The Bard Himself. King Lear (3.2.49-60)
- Reunited: The return of David Luiz to Chelsea
- Hello Again, Geezer!
- The Rumour Mill
- Half a chance?
- Dear TV People,
- Rhyme and Treason
- Your Breaking News Ain’t Breaking Us
- We Didn’t Want Him Anyway
- Closing In
- The Blame Game
- How They Destroyed The Beautiful Game
- Till Death Do Us Part ….
- Ossie – King Of The Bridge
- The Ardent Armchair Die-hard Supporter
- The Day A Dream Came True
- The Toddler’s ABC Of Football
- Save our Claudio
- Once upon a terraced time
- The Night We Were Robbed
- Oh for the Cup Winner’s Cup
- The Football Fan’s Trap
- League Ladders
- He Doesn’t Go
- For Matthew
- Big Man
- Back To The Future
- Rare Find
- The Football Supporter’s Guide To The Close-Season
- From The Hearts Of The Fans
- My Poetry, My Football Club
- Judged by association…
About the author
Contact the author
Follow Carol Ann Wood on Twitter
NOT Just Saying: Carol’s comments on feminism, fashion, food and folly
Only in ErinsboroughCarol’s fun look at the lives and loves of the characters from the Australian soap, Neighbours
Please note that any advertisements which appear below these posts are placed there by a WordPress algorithm. They are not indicative of any endorsement by the author.