On a night at the Bridge we were robbed of our dream
Of a visit to Rome with our proud football team.
We were robbed of a final for one certain reason –
UEFA said no to the same as last season.
A ‘blind’ man from Norway ignored every claim.
One penalty scored would have finished the game.
But he was an expert on stitching us up
To make sure we’d no chance of lifting that cup.
Our die-hard support is no stranger to loss,
We’ve lived through the bleak years when games were pure dross.
We’re no glory hunters who think we’ve a right
To land every trophy and win every fight.
We’re real fans, not plastic, who follow our club
And not from an armchair, and not from a pub.
We sing loud and proud and we sing in the stand
Whatever the fixture, all over the land.
We smile in our glory, we suffer the bad –
But this smells of corruption and that’s why we’re mad.
UEFA have got what they wanted (for now.)
We will be back one day and win it somehow.
Then Mr Platini can kiss Drogba’s arse
But meantime, the Champion’s League is a FARCE.
© Carol Wood
6th May 2009
Index of Posts:
- Back To Basics:
- Lazy Players Don’t Work Hard
- The Transfer Troll Is King
- The Night The League Was Won
- A die-hard Chelsea Woman
- Breaking News on PieGate
- Chinese Puzzle
- Older Fans Matter
- Bradley Lowery’s Goal
- The Geezer That’s David Luiz
- You Are Old Said The Mail
- Dear Lady Brady,
- Dear Matthew Harding,
- In Memory Of Matthew Harding: 26/12/1953 – 22/10/1996
- Geezer Love
- Love Letters From The Stand
- Costa: More sinned Against Then Sinning With apologies to The Bard Himself. King Lear (3.2.49-60)
- Reunited: The return of David Luiz to Chelsea
- Hello Again, Geezer!
- The Rumour Mill
- Half a chance?
- Dear TV People,
- Rhyme and Treason
- Your Breaking News Ain’t Breaking Us
- We Didn’t Want Him Anyway
- Closing In
- The Blame Game
- How They Destroyed The Beautiful Game
- Till Death Do Us Part ….
- Ossie – King Of The Bridge
- The Ardent Armchair Die-hard Supporter
- The Day A Dream Came True
- The Toddler’s ABC Of Football
- Save our Claudio
- Once upon a terraced time
- The Night We Were Robbed
- Oh for the Cup Winner’s Cup
- The Football Fan’s Trap
- League Ladders
- He Doesn’t Go
- For Matthew
- Big Man
- Back To The Future
- Rare Find
- The Football Supporter’s Guide To The Close-Season
- From The Hearts Of The Fans
- My Poetry, My Football Club
- Judged by association…
My bespoke poetry service, Diverse Verse
About the author
Contact the author
Follow Carol Ann Wood on Twitter
NOT Just Saying: Carol’s comments on feminism, fashion, food and folly
Only in Erinsborough Carol Ann’s fun look at the lives and loves of the characters from the Australian soap, Neighbours
Please note that any advertisements which appear below these posts are placed there by a WordPress algorithm. They are not indicative of any endorsement by the author.