Penned because the amount of media coverage on José Mourinho being appointed as manager of Manchester United is slightly ridiculous, and because I’m fed up with casual observers of football asking me ‘what I think about it.’ I don’t like it, as it happens, but the milk was spilt months ago and life (and the club) moves on. Carefree.
It’s breaking news, they tell us, but we’ve heard it all before.
We knew that it would happen so we’re not that shocked or sore.
And all the ‘fans’ of other teams are hot upon the case.
They cannot wait to see the look on a Chelsea die-hard’s face.
Well let me tell you this, my friend, the story’s not that new.
Your breaking news ain’t breaking us, cos we’re Chelsea through and through.
We loved a man who once was king, and special in our eyes.
But football is a business and so nothing’s a surprise.
The managers, they come and go, some loved, and others not,
It’s throw your car keys in the mix,
Now let’s see who we’ve got.
It’s a swingers Premier League party
And they swap it all around.
So your breaking news ain’t breaking us,
It’s just another round.
It’s breaking news on the BBC, on Five Live and on Sky.
But it’s not real news for the die-hard fan,
So you will not see us cry.
It’s another case of a love we’ve lost,
Who has gone to someone new.
But your breaking news ain’t breaking us.
We’re Chelsea through and through.
© Carol Ann Wood
Index of Posts:
- Shirt Man: Sign Of the Times
- Anthem For Doomed Yoof
- If Carlsberg Did Birthdays
- An (Extra)ordinary Boy
- Mummy’s Precious Prat
- World Cup Fever
- Don’t Be A Wannabeeeeeee
- Ray’s Chelsea Story
- I was a Butch Wilkins Babe
- That Day Will Never Come
- Plastic Clearout
- Back To Basics:
- Lazy Players Don’t Work Hard
- The Transfer Troll Is King
- The Night The League Was Won
- A die-hard Chelsea Woman
- Breaking News on PieGate
- Chinese Puzzle
- Older Fans Matter
- Bradley Lowery’s Goal
- The Geezer That’s David Luiz
- You Are Old Said The Mail
- Dear Lady Brady,
- Dear Matthew Harding,
- In Memory Of Matthew Harding: 26/12/1953 – 22/10/1996
- Geezer Love
- Love Letters From The Stand
- Costa: More sinned Against Then Sinning With apologies to The Bard Himself. King Lear (3.2.49-60)
- Reunited: The return of David Luiz to Chelsea
- Hello Again, Geezer!
- The Rumour Mill
- Half a chance?
- Dear TV People,
- Rhyme and Treason
- Your Breaking News Ain’t Breaking Us
- We Didn’t Want Him Anyway
- Closing In
- The Blame Game
- How They Destroyed The Beautiful Game
- Till Death Do Us Part ….
- Ossie – King Of The Bridge
- The Ardent Armchair Die-hard Supporter
- The Day A Dream Came True
- The Toddler’s ABC Of Football
- Save our Claudio
- Once upon a terraced time
- The Night We Were Robbed
- Oh for the Cup Winner’s Cup
- The Football Fan’s Trap
- League Ladders
- He Doesn’t Go
- For Matthew
- Big Man
- Back To The Future
- Rare Find
- The Football Supporter’s Guide To The Close-Season
- From The Hearts Of The Fans
- My Poetry, My Football Club
- Judged by association…
My bespoke poetry service, Diverse Verse
About the author
Contact the author
Follow Carol Ann Wood on Twitter
NOT Just Saying: Carol’s comments on feminism, fashion, food and folly
Only in Erinsborough Carol Ann’s fun look at the lives and loves of the characters from the Australian soap, Neighbours
Please note that any advertisements which appear below these posts are placed there by a WordPress algorithm. They are not indicative of any endorsement by the author.