The rumour mill is grinding shit and spreading it around.
The rumour mill with sources close and one ear to the ground.
A lone man in his bedroom with a PC and a dream.
He wants to be a famous man so he’s got himself a scheme.
He’s built a website just for you and incase you haven’t read it
He’ll tweet and Facebook all day long and he wants to take the credit.
The rumour mill is grinding shit and it’s coming your club’s way.
‘In talks’ ‘done deal’ and ‘it’s understood’ are what the rumours say.
They’re closing in on so-and-so, he’s spotted in a bar,
At a Tesco’s checkout, at the beach, or buying another car.
He’s seen from Bruges to Bognor in a hundred new locations.
From airports to the Pound Shop and in obscure railway stations.
And funnily, he’s spotted simultaneously too.
Split into many bodies – do we really think it’s true?
The rumour mill is working hard with not one grain of truth.
He’s on his way, there’s been some row, or it’s time to play the youth.
It’s frantic, frenzied fantasies to get the fans excited.
He’s going here, he’s going there, he’s staying put at United.
Our frazzled brains attempt to cope and the window’s almost done.
It’s like another trophy to be challenged for, and won.
And if your club has failed to capture players you desire,
You’ll have to whinge till January or set the league on fire.
The rumour mill is grinding shit and your Twitter feed’s gone mad,
When you find your rivals struck the deal you thought that your club had.
The rumour mill is driving us to the edge of the abyss,
Our phones on constant news alerts we cannot bear to miss.
And three games in we’re weary of the constant, shitty stuff.
So Que Sera and January comes round quite soon enough!
© Carol Ann Wood
Index of Posts:
- Bewitched, Bothered & Bewildered
- Georgie Porgie
- Shirt Man: Sign Of the Times
- Anthem For Doomed Yoof
- If Carlsberg Did Birthdays
- An (Extra)ordinary Boy
- Mummy’s Precious Prat
- World Cup Fever
- Don’t Be A Wannabeeeeeee
- Ray’s Chelsea Story
- I was a Butch Wilkins Babe
- That Day Will Never Come
- Plastic Clearout
- Back To Basics:
- Lazy Players Don’t Work Hard
- The Transfer Troll Is King
- The Night The League Was Won
- A die-hard Chelsea Woman
- Breaking News on PieGate
- Chinese Puzzle
- Older Fans Matter
- Bradley Lowery’s Goal
- The Geezer That’s David Luiz
- You Are Old Said The Mail
- Dear Lady Brady,
- Dear Matthew Harding,
- In Memory Of Matthew Harding: 26/12/1953 – 22/10/1996
- Geezer Love
- Love Letters From The Stand
- Costa: More sinned Against Then Sinning With apologies to The Bard Himself. King Lear (3.2.49-60)
- Reunited: The return of David Luiz to Chelsea
- Hello Again, Geezer!
- The Rumour Mill
- Half a chance?
- Dear TV People,
- Rhyme and Treason
- Your Breaking News Ain’t Breaking Us
- We Didn’t Want Him Anyway
- Closing In
- The Blame Game
- How They Destroyed The Beautiful Game
- Till Death Do Us Part ….
- Ossie – King Of The Bridge
- The Ardent Armchair Die-hard Supporter
- The Day A Dream Came True
- The Toddler’s ABC Of Football
- Save our Claudio
- Once upon a terraced time
- The Night We Were Robbed
- Oh for the Cup Winner’s Cup
- The Football Fan’s Trap
- League Ladders
- He Doesn’t Go
- For Matthew
- Big Man
- Back To The Future
- Rare Find
- The Football Supporter’s Guide To The Close-Season
- From The Hearts Of The Fans
- My Poetry, My Football Club
- Judged by association…
My bespoke poetry service, Diverse Verse
About the author
Contact the author
Follow Carol Ann Wood on Twitter
NOT Just Saying: Carol’s comments on feminism, fashion, food and folly
Only in Erinsborough Carol Ann’s fun look at the lives and loves of the characters from the Australian soap, Neighbours
Please note that any advertisements which appear below these posts are placed there by a WordPress algorithm. They are not indicative of any endorsement by the author.