For Di Matteo’s early goal,
We knew that you were there.
In cheers, in tears through the Chelsea years
That you never got to share.
In stadiums throughout the globe,
Wherever the Blue Boys played
We felt your love, we saw your smile.
We wish you could have stayed.
For all the glorious trophy wins,
In moments of despair.
In the heartache of the Moscow game,
We knew that you were there.
We know you watched us win the league,
We felt your happy heart.
We heard you laugh and we heard you cheer
Like we’d never been apart.
You were in the snow in Tromso,
You were in the San Siro.
You’re in the stand that we named for you.
You are everywhere we go.
At Wembley for each FA Cup,
And in Munich that magic night.
When Drogs stepped up to bring us joy,
We felt your pure delight.
You are there for the pain of each defeat,
As you will us to keep on singing.
You are on our roller coaster ride,
And the love that it keeps bringing.
You’re a legend, Matthew, in the sky,
Yet, you’ve never really gone.
You’re here in the heart of every fan,
Because men like you live on.
© Carol Ann Wood
Index of Posts:
- Plastic Clearout
- Back To Basics:
- Lazy Players Don’t Work Hard
- The Transfer Troll Is King
- The Night The League Was Won
- A die-hard Chelsea Woman
- Breaking News on PieGate
- Chinese Puzzle
- Older Fans Matter
- Bradley Lowery’s Goal
- The Geezer That’s David Luiz
- You Are Old Said The Mail
- Dear Lady Brady,
- Dear Matthew Harding,
- In Memory Of Matthew Harding: 26/12/1953 – 22/10/1996
- Geezer Love
- Love Letters From The Stand
- Costa: More sinned Against Then Sinning With apologies to The Bard Himself. King Lear (3.2.49-60)
- Reunited: The return of David Luiz to Chelsea
- Hello Again, Geezer!
- The Rumour Mill
- Half a chance?
- Dear TV People,
- Rhyme and Treason
- Your Breaking News Ain’t Breaking Us
- We Didn’t Want Him Anyway
- Closing In
- The Blame Game
- How They Destroyed The Beautiful Game
- Till Death Do Us Part ….
- Ossie – King Of The Bridge
- The Ardent Armchair Die-hard Supporter
- The Day A Dream Came True
- The Toddler’s ABC Of Football
- Save our Claudio
- Once upon a terraced time
- The Night We Were Robbed
- Oh for the Cup Winner’s Cup
- The Football Fan’s Trap
- League Ladders
- He Doesn’t Go
- For Matthew
- Big Man
- Back To The Future
- Rare Find
- The Football Supporter’s Guide To The Close-Season
- From The Hearts Of The Fans
- My Poetry, My Football Club
- Judged by association…
My bespoke poetry service, Diverse Verse
About the author
Contact the author
Follow Carol Ann Wood on Twitter
NOT Just Saying: Carol’s comments on feminism, fashion, food and folly
Only in Erinsborough Carol Ann’s fun look at the lives and loves of the characters from the Australian soap, Neighbours
Please note that any advertisements which appear below these posts are placed there by a WordPress algorithm. They are not indicative of any endorsement by the author.